Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Below are some commonly asked questions you may have as a first year student. Click on each category to learn about each topic and feel free to contact us if you do not see an answer to your question. If you are a parent or family member of a first year student, please refer to UCLA's Parent and Family Programs.

Academic Success

How do I enroll in classes?

Go on MyUCLA to look at your enrollment pass time. Remember you have first and second pass windows. Set a reminder on your phone so you don’t miss it!

How do I add/drop classes? Is there a deadline to do that?

You may add classes during the first two weeks of the quarter without a fee by going to your MyUCLA. If for some reason you are having difficulty adding a class due to a prerequisite or Permission to Enroll (PTE) number needed, we recommend you contact the departmental counselor from where the class is being offered.

Beginning week 4, you will need to submit a petition to your counseling unit. Approval is not guaranteed and you will be charged a transaction fee.

Please note, the conditions to add/drop impacted classes are different (see question below).

To drop a class, go onto myUCLA and click on the “Classes” tab. Under “Enrollment”, there is the option: “Drop a Class”

You can drop a non impacted class without a transcript notation or fee through Friday of second week. You can still drop a class during Weeks 3 - 10, but late fees, transcript notations, and petitions will apply depending on the week you drop. For more information, refer to College Academic Counseling's website. Please note, there is a limit of three restricted late drops throughout your entire undergraduate career at UCLA.

NOTE: The above policies only apply to students within the College of Letters and Science. If you are a student within the School of Arts and Architecture, the School of Theater, Film, and Television, the School of Nursing, the School of Engineering and Applied Science or the School of Music, please contact your respective counseling unit. 

What are impacted courses?

Impacted courses are classes that have high enrollment demand and limited resources to accommodate this high demand from students. Because of this, impacted classes may be difficult to enroll in because a lot of people need to take them and during enrollment they quickly fill up. You can find a complete list of impacted courses here

What does it mean to get a "W" in my transcript?

A "W" on a transcript indicates a student has Withdrawn from all university courses. If a student would like to withdraw, s/he will need to file the necessary paperwork with their counseling unit. Depending on when a student withdraws, s/he may receive a refund of a portion of their registration fee. Students who have not completed the final exam or the necessary paperwork in any class are eligible to withdraw.

NOTE: The above policies only apply to students within the College of Letters and Science. If you are a student within the School of Arts and Architecture, the School of Theater, Film, and Television, the School of Nursing, theSchool of Engineering and Applied Science or the School of Music, please contact your respective counseling unit. 

Can I retake courses?

Yes, you can retake graded courses in which you receive a grade of C- or below or a NP. You may retake up to 16 units.

Learn more

NOTE: The above policies only apply to students within the College of Letters and Science. If you are a student within the School of Arts and Architecture, the School of Theater, Film, and Television, the School of Nursing, theSchool of Engineering and Applied Science or the School of Music, please contact your respective counseling unit. 

How do I speak with a counselor?

Depending on whether you are majoring in the College of Letters and Science or within the School of Arts and Architecture, the School of Theater, Film, and Television, Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, or School of Nursing, each school operates differently when it comes to their counselors. We recommend you visit your school's website for more information.

Within the College of Letters and Science, you will have both a departmental counselor and a general counselor within one of the following counseling units:


Do I need to take classes during the summer before my first quarter at UCLA?

UCLA offers summer classes through Summer Sessions to students who wish to take classes before their first quarter and get a heard start on their academic progress. Depending on personal preferences, students can choose either Individual UCLA Academic Courses or Summer Institutes. Always consult with your academic/orientation counselor to discuss your academic plan and whether or not summer courses would be beneficial to take prior to Fall enrollment.

The Academic Advancement Program (AAP) also offers the Freshman Summer Program (FSP) and the Transfer Summer Program (TSP)


Where can I get information about studying abroad?

For information on studying abroad, visit the UCLA's International Education Office.

You can also visit their office in person located at 1332 Murphy Hall.

How can I find tutoring?

Depending on the course you are taking, T.A.'s may offer  tutoring sessions outside class time (fee may apply). Additionally, departments may organize tutoring sessions. Contact the academic counselor within the department to learn more about tutoring services available. You should also ask your professor if s/he knows of any tutoring resources.

For assistance in writing, peer advisors are available via the Undergraduate Writing Center or the Writing Success Program.

What is the difference between lecture and discussion?

Lectures are usually large classes (80 - 300 students) with the professor standing in the front to present the course content. 

Discussions sections are small groups (15 - 30 students) led by a teaching assistant (TA) to discuss the professor’s lectures in detail or answer any questions that students may have about the course material.

Where can I find information about doing research?

Visit the Undergraduate Research page for information on research in the sciences, arts, and humanities.

Get Involved

How can I find a list of the student clubs at UCLA?

Check out the official list of over 1,000 registered UCLA organizations here

You will be able to participate in the Enormous Activities Fair during True Bruin Welcome where many of the registered clubs above will be in attendance recruiting new members. Also, check out our blog post on the Spring Activities Fair

Finally, if you do not find a club that interests you, visit the SOLE website on steps you can take to start your own organization.

What is UCLA's student body government?

"USAC", the Undergraduate Students Association Council, is the governing body of the Undergraduate Students Association (USA) whose membership is comprised of every UCLA undergraduate student. 

USAC is comprised of fourteen student officers that are elected by students during the annual election held during Spring Quarter. For the duration of their term, these elected students lead their offices and commissions to execute unique platforms and initiatives for the undergraduate student body.

The following are USAC offices:
Office of the President, Internal Vice President (IVP) Office, External Vice President Office, General Representative 1 Office, General Representative 2 Office, General Representative 3 Office, Transfer Student Representative Office, Academic Affairs Commission, Campus Events Commission, Community Service Commission, Cultural Affairs Commission, Facilities Commission, Financial Support Commission, and Student Wellness Commission.

What does South Campus and North Campus mean?

South Campus refers to the southern area of campus that houses departments containing majors that fall under the STEM category, including life sciences, physical sciences, physics, math, chemistry, engineering, computer science, etc. 

North Campus represents the northern area of campus with departments within Arts/Social Science/Humanities majors such as English, Communication Studies, Sociology, Gender Studies, Music, World Arts and Cultures, and Business/Economics.

There are also some “in between” majors that fall somewhere between North and South campus, including Psychology, Anthropology, and Human Biology and Society. 

What are some of UCLA's biggest events throughout the year?

Where can I find information on events on campus and on the Hill?

Connect with the FYE office via our social media to get the latest information on programs related to first year students. 

Additionally, we recommend you visit UCLA's Happenings Page and Residential Life's home page for events throughout the campus. 

Where can I get more information on other UCLA departments, resources, and services?

The main UCLA website has a great directory for all the different websites for these resources and services. If you are a current student, this may be helpful to you: If you are a prospective student, this may be helpful to you.

How do I find a job on campus?

There are plenty of job opportunities on campus! A great place to look for available student positions is on the ASUCLA website and the Residential Life website

We also recommend you check with individual departments on campus as they may also be looking for student workers. 

Finally, the FYE office hires first year student ambassadors year round depending on space and need. Contact us to inquire if we are hiring.


What are some resources for undocumented students?

The Bruin Resource Center houses the Undocumented Students Program, providing services such as counseling, financial aid assistance, legal advising, and more. The Undocumented Students Program also strives to bring the undocumented student community together and serve as an advocate for these students. 

Personal Health

What are some resources for students with disabilities?

UCLA's Office of Students with Disabilities offers a variety of support services for a spectrum of disabilities, both permanent or temporary. OSD staff can best assist students with accessing resources to assist with their educational needs.

What are some mental health resources on campus?

There are many resources on campus to assist with mental health issues, which include:

Where can I go if I want to take a study break and exercise?


UCLA Recreation has a variety of opportunities for involvement in physical activity, which include:

  1. The Wooden Center & BFit
  2. Club sports
  3. Recreational classes (arts, dance, martial arts, etc.)
  4. Marina Aquatic center (kayaking, rowing, sailing, etc.)
  5. Aquatics
  6. Wilderness trips
  7. Rock Wall

Although most of these opportunities are included in your student fees, others you must pay a nominal fee to participate. Registration is required and/or encouraged for a lot of the options above.

For more information on participating, refer to the Recreation website


Who can I talk to if I am feeling stressed and having issues with time management?

There are several resources on campus which can assist you when you are feeling overwhelmed. All you need to do is take a proactive approach and reach out and ask for help.

  1. Your Resident Assisttant - they are trained peers who are knowledgeable about many on-campus resources to assist you in your time of need.
  2. The GRIT Program - In this program, students receive individualized support from trained peer coaches, with the aims of enhancing overall well-being and improving academic and personal success by utilizing various strategies for empowerment. Topics which peer coaches address include stress management and mindfulness, fostering positive social connections, goal setting, academic skills enrichment and navigating campus resources.
  3. Campus and Student Resilience - This program equips students with resilience skills - emphasizing connection and belonging, service, self-efficacy and mastery, and self-reflection. They include access to their Resilience Peer Network where you can have support via trained peers. 
  4. CAPS - UCLA's mental health center offers individual therapy, group sessions, and other services and resources that can help you manage all your responsibilities as a student.


What is the Student Activities Center?

The Student Activities Center is a great resource for students that houses the UCLA test bank, a gymnasium, some intercollegiate sports, locker rooms, showers, an outdoor swimming pool, and multiple on-campus organizations.


It is located east of the Wooden Center and north of Ackerman Union.


How can I make an appointment with a financial aid counselor?

You can reach UCLA's Financial Aid Office at (310) 206-0400 or email to request an appointment. 

Generally speaking, your counselor will be assigned according to your last name. For a complete list of FAO counselors visit here.

Who can I contact if I am going through a financial hardship?

UCLA's Economic Crisis Response Team is dedicated to assisting students who are experiencing a financial crisis. 

Contact ECRT at or call (310) 206-1189.

What is work study? Where can I find work study jobs?

Work-Study is a need-based form of Financial Aid that you earn through on or off-campus employment and receive in the form of a paycheck to encourage part-time employment and reduce the amount of loan debt incurred while attending college. Work-Study does so by paying a portion of your salary thus making it more advantageous for an employer to hire you. 


Most on-campus jobs can be considered for work study; however, the employer must officially request the job be posted as work study by going to the work study website and submitting for official approval.

You can also go to the UCLA Work Study Job bulletin posted on MyUCLA, which has a current listing of approved work study jobs.


For more information, please refer to the Work Study page on the Financial aid website. 

How can I find a job on campus?

BruinView, operated by UCLA’s Career Center, provides information on career services and events for students in addition to listing hundreds of jobs and internships UCLA students are eligible for. It also grants you access to other types of employment including internships and graduate school resources.


Sign up for BruinView here.


You can also look for on-campus jobs with the following departments:



Residential Life




How and where can I pay for tuition?

All students are assigned a BruinBill account which records all charges and payments associated with registration, housing and transportation, as well as other service charges like health insurance that are assessed to students. A  student’s BruinBill is available to manage nearly 24/7; the student just logins to MyUCLA and clicks on BruinBill Accounts.


Fees are assessed monthly via BruinBill and payment is due on the 20th of the month following the posting date of the charge. If the 20th falls on a weekend or a holiday, the due date is the last business day prior to the 20th.

Each month, students will receive an automated e-Bill reminder to a designated email account (selected via the Settings section of MyUCLA).


Tuition can also be paid in person using a check, cashier’s check, or money order at the Payment Solutions and Compliance office located at 1125 Murphy Hall, open Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm. 




How can I check how many meal I have?

Students may check the balance of their meal plan at any residential restaurant's cashier's station during regular meal hours. For more information, please refer to the Housing website.

Can I stay in my room over Winter and Spring Break?

For winter break, residents who have a need to stay on campus may request stay through accommodations which, when approved, will allow a student to stay in her current room and dine at a specific dining location during the winter break, except during university holidays when dining will be closed. Please note there is an additional charge for this stay-through package which must be purchased in advance. To sign up for the stay through package, please contact Housing directly.

For spring break, residents may remain in their room without any additional charge for the academic year. However, meals will not be served in any dining facility during this time.

Where can I make my housing payment?

Payment can be made online on BruinBill via under the Jobs and Finances section.


For more detailed information about your housing, please refer to Housing website.

Can I switch roommates?

Mutually requested room switches (or room swaps) and transfers to vacant spaces will be considered during the Open Transfer Period each quarter. There will also be a Room Swap Event each quarter so that residents may meet other residents who are interested in moving. 


All residents interested in a transfer/room swap must submit an on-line Transfer Request from the My Housing web site at by selecting the Undergraduate Transfer Request link. Residents are required to meet with their Resident Director (RD) or Resident Services Coordinator (RSC) regarding their request at the Open Transfer/Room Swap Event before the request will be processed.  


Students unable to attend the Open Transfer/Room Swap Event will need to schedule an appointment with their RD or AC before the event to be eligible for a transfer.

First Year Experience Office

What does the FYE office do?

The UCLA First Year Experience (FYE) Office helps students navigate campus resources, provides programming, and offers research and information supporting First Year Bruins’ success in the areas of:

  • Academic Success

  • Get Involved

  • Personal Health

  • Finances

Please contact FYE if you any questions or would like to speak with a staff member.

Where is the FYE office located?

First Year Experience (FYE) is located in 205 (2nd floor) Bradley International Hall on the Hill.

What days/hours is the FYE office open?

FYE is open Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Is FYE a program that students have to register or sign up for?

No, students do not have to register with FYE in order to receive updates and assistance. All first year students are eligible to participate in FYE programming.

Who do I contact from FYE if I need help with something?

Our office consists of current student staff (undergraduate and graduate) and professional staff. All of our staff are knowledgeable about FYE services and the UCLA campus resources that could help you. FYE staff members can be reached by dialing our main office number at (310) 825-3401 or by emailing us at 

Are FYE resources available to transfer students as well?

Yes! As transfer students, you are first year students as well so all the services we provide apply to you! Also, our resources are not solely limited to first years and first year transfer students. If you are a transfer student, we also encourage you to visit UCLA's Transfer Program.